Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Sculpture Designs

     Well its taken awhile but I have completed a few models for some new DIY sculptures. These are constructed using "Sculptey" clay and are spray sealed using "Crystal Clear" to make the mold making process easier.  I will be making a flexible mold using silicon rubber . They will be hollow cast using a method of casting called "Roto Cast" . This is where you pour in the material to be cast into the mold and then rotate ( the mold not you) until the casting material has set up, there by entrapping any air bubbles in the middle (hopefully)  of the casting.

     These little temples houses were inspired by a trip to "Bali" the land of a thousand temples and are intended to house the little woo character (not shown because they are in the process of being made). It seems that every where you go in Bali there is some small temple with offerings of rice and incense. The little temples keep showing up in my notebooks with the woo looking out of them and I felt I ought to bring them to life. They look pretty cool next to the computer monitor, sort of a monitor spirt house that you might want to give an offering every now and then to ensure a good clear monitor.
















































































7 comments:

  1. Wow, those temples are fantastic. I really like ones with the swirls on top - kinda want one for my bookshelf!

    Not sure what a woo is yet, but I'll be poking around your blog to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, makes me want to try resin casting again! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Oh and it's not resin that I will be casting. I use this stuff called "Duo Matrix" its gypsum (chalk) mixed with acrylic medium. I can't handle the fumes from resin and I think this stuff is more "eco" friendly since chalk is found in nature. Its also really durable and it paints like your painting on gesso no primer needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are pretty cool. You might like HellGnome from DeviantArt http://hellgnome.deviantart.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip trish. He's been busy hasn't he. I book marked him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are awesome Chris! xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little creatures are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete